Friday, September 11, 2009

A Day in Istanbul
















Great day today. The hotel is on the Asia side of Istanbul and everything we saw today was on the Europe side. It started at the Hippodrome where we saw several oblisks, one of which was from ancient Egypt. Also encountered a street vendor selling/playing wooden flutes and a cat posing for the tourists. On to the Blue Mosque we went where we had to remove our shoes and place them in a plastic bag for carrying. Shoes are not allowed from a certain point outside the mosque or inside. Huge place. Next was the underground cistern - very interesting. Water still remains inside and is occupied by large carp. Also, there were two ancient and very large Medusa heads at the very back. Hagia Sophia was next. The 4th tallest dome in the world. Presently a museum and because of that we went through a security checkpoint. The Grand Bazaar was next - OMG! I thought Stanley Market was a shopper's dream - there is no comparison. Gold, gold, and more gold. Carpets, carpets, and more carpets. Of course I made several purchases. Had lunch at Julia's Cafe inside the bazaar (chicken kabob) and met an interesting couple from Australia, who have been traveling for over a month now. He is an attorney and she a geologist. They knew immediately that I was from Texas - I wonder how? Our waiter was very friendly, but the guy that brought the check doesn't like Americans or the French. I asked why but he wouldn't say. Next a carpet salesman latched on to me trying to sell me a rug. Bargaining is fun. You eventually pay half of their first price. Our last stop was the Spice Market - and that it was. An added bonus was seeing the train station that was the last stop for the Orient Express. Well, tomorrow we head for Ankara. Suppose to rain - ugh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment